Saturday, June 03, 2006

Chapter 1

Wow, what a great book. I am so happy that I found it. Larry Crab always throws down. Here is my analysis.

1. "Finding Christ is a long, pride-crushing battle that leads through despair to the unmanagable joy of Spirit-fulness and then back again through darker despair to an even brighter joy. Men who avoid that battle will experience only surface repentance. Their real commitment will be to things that don't really matter. They will never develop a passion capable of touching the center of anyone else with life-giving love."

Roy taught this thing called self-protection in spiritual formation and I think that Larry Crab is talking about the same thing here. Although it is the hardest thing we will ever do, finding Christ is the most fulfilling. Also, today I almost bought a 42" plasma TV. Talk about having passion for things that don't matter... urg!!

2. On page 34, Larry Crab's dream... "I see them returning books to the shelf of the Christian bookstore: the books with jackets that falsely promise now what only heaven will later provide. I see them picking up a flyer promoting the seminar everyone is talking about, looking at it, then putting it down."

This hit me pretty hard. As I was reading it I kept on thinking about Chip Ingram. Am I in the crowd listening to him? Do I need to stop listening to him and find more deep relationships with older men?

3. On page 35: "We have entirely lost sight of the fact that every nonphysical problem is, at its core, a moral problem, with its root in a person's relationship with God.

That is quite a bold statement. I am not sure what to think of it. I will have to bounce it off some of my buddies. Steve what do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home