Monday, June 26, 2006

Chapter 8

This was by far the best chapter of the book so far. This is one of those chapters that you save and read throughout your life.

It was very difficult because the questions that were talked about are nuts. One of the statements I highlighted was on page 112: "Whenever our highest agenda is to make our lives work, then no matter what we do, we are fire-lighters." This whole concept of not lighting a fire is puzzling. Basically he says that we need to depend on the light God gives us rather then try to create our own and if there is no light then we need to move into the darkness. The problem in my mind with all of this is that you are creating a light for yourself when you say that you will only depend on Gods light. To me its circular thinking. If I were to say to you, the only plan I have is "to not have a plan" well that is a plan in and of itself. Those are things that confuse me from time to time.

I also loved where it said "But the outcome of the story does not determine whether my friend acted like a man." To many times we make decisions based on what the outcome will be. Its so hard though.

Page 113 "the spirit more often whispers encouragement("You can do it. I am with you") rather than directions ("Now go tell her this"). I don't really agree with Crabb on this statement. When I read the old testament I see God giving plenty of specific directions and Jesus even gave plenty of specific directions. "Go to the lake catch a fish pull the coins out and pay the man" He didn't say, "your a good guy figure out a way to get the money." Yeah that sentence sort of tripped me out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home